Show Review: Slowdive & Low @ the Neptune

Slowdive & Low @ the Neptune, 11/4/14 Review by Nick Nihil Slowdive Admittedly I hadn’t actually listened to Slowdive before their show, an assignment I picked up at the last minute, but the way folks seemed to wax nostalgically eloquent upon their ambient, shoegazey glory, I figured they’d probably be up my vine. Plus, Low […]

Photos: Tokyo Police Club, Geographer & Said the Whale @ Neumos

Neumos had the great triple bill of Tokyo Police Club, Geographer and Said the Whale on its stage in April. To catch up with these bands, check out Tokyo Police Club’s latest, Forcefield (plus dates all over Canada right now), see Said the Whale also across Canada now through December, and if you’re in California, […]

Photos: Lauryn Hill @ the Paramount

Lauryn Hill was here in July – oh yes, she was, and we have the photos to prove it! The soul, rhythm and blues, and hip hop artist is an outspoken and original woman. Otherwise known as Ms. Lauryn Hill, she has appearances scheduled in California and Texas in November and December. Much respect to […]

Show Review: Mark Lanegan @ the Neptune

Mark Lanegan @ the Neptune, 10/29/14 Show Review by Ira Leonard Mark Lanegan Mark Lanegan is a performer of such striking gravitas that I am certain he could stand at a microphone and read from a Betty Crocker cookbook and it would be compelling. Blessed with a baritone voice of unburnished gold, a natural sense […]